Friday, March 04, 2005

Spring in Site - Tomatoes on the Mind

Agriculture warning: The following is only intended for those who till the soil to grow food. The traditional version is the farmer. His modern suburban equivalent is the gardener.

Snow may still be on the ground. But the calendar says it's March. And we all know what that means. That's right. Only a month or so before we start germinating tomato seeds for our summer garden. That means it's time to get those orders in for seed varieties you don't currently have in stock.

My seed supply was actually pretty low this year. Not to worry. Tomato Growers Supply Company had plenty to spare. I'm cutting down on the number of plants this year. But being a tomato fanatic, that still means I need some variety.

This year I ordered:

Early Wonder
Black Cherry
Black Krim
Jaune Flamme
Eva Purple Ball
Brandywine - Sudduth's Strain
Stump of the World
Sun Gold
Green Grape
Azoychka


This will supplement seeds in stock

Neves Azorean Red
Brandywine OTV
Sweet Million
Snow White
Marianna's Peace
Black Prince
There are already a few varieties it's gnawing at me for leaving off my list this year. So we'll see how well this list holds out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Knitting a Conundrum said...

You, sir, are definitely a tomato connosieur....and I thought I was doing good planting brandywines instead of big boys or celebrities...

2:28 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Now there is a blog close to my heart. This year I have, already in the ground:

Neves Azorean Red
Clear Pink Early
Mortgage Lifter Mullens Strain
Black Brandywine
Mortgage Lifter Red VFN
New Big Dwarf
Earl of Edgecombe
Golden Queen USDA Strain
Delicious
Brandywine Sudduth's Strain
Burpee's Tabletalk
Cherokee Chocolate

Check out my blog at: Lee's Opinionated Blog to see more about my tomato growing hobby.

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home