Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Ka-Boom!

Ouch! Kathy at Cake Eater Chronicles exploded my ill-tempered post of a couple of days ago on the topic of gay-marriage, leaving a smouldering heap in its place.

And I get the distinct impression she was taking it easy on me. Gotta remember to mind my manners better around her. I'd hate to get hit with that stuff at full-force.

A couple of points we'll call "teachable moments."

First, no obviously I don't really believe that everyone holding the position in question is truly a moron. I was just name calling. And that tends to piss people off. Sometimes that's appropriate. But the broader the group you insult, the less appropriate it's likely to be.

Second, I didn't really take the time to lay out something that could be coherently described as "making a case for my position." Combined with point one, this tends to create the opposite of the intended effect, minimalizing rather than advancing one's position. As Kevin Ecker noted:

And in my experience this "I BELIEVE THIS AND YOUR WRONG" *puts fingers in ear* "I CAN'T HEAR YOU LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA " type of argument is usually reserved for people that have nothing to support their position.
So go read Kathy beat the crap out of my post. In addition to the eviscerating my post stuff, she also has many thoughtful words on the topic itself, and only a couple I disagree with. And as for those, I'll get around to explaining the disagreement for real and with better manners sometime soon.

3 Comments:

Blogger Muzzy said...

While I am of the opinion that the argument(s) against gay marriage are much more compelling than those for, I gotta say, I was impressed with Kathy's composure in taking you to task on your post. And you are to be commended for taking your licks like a man. Good for you. Like you, I am smart and have a tendency to be a smart-aleck, to boot. It's hard to remember, sometimes, that what we write has the ability to affect others, and very personally and directlly. Don't misunderstand, I don't mean to imply that I (or you) shouldn't ever dish it out, but I think sometimes it's prolly a good idea for me to Stop, Look and Listen a bit more. I will use this as a reminder to myself to pay a bit more attention at the crossings. Muzzy out. (Sorry about that.)

4:40 PM  
Blogger Flash said...

I'm still waiting for you to anwers the comentor's questions from the original post:

==
Anonymous said...

What the hell?
Were you drunk when you posted this?
I think Kathy's got your number.
==

10:08 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

Kevin Ecker advised me to claim the "drunk and stupid" defense. But I think that's a cop-out. Kathy appropriately called me out for being an *ss, and I'll just take my lumps.

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home