Friday, February 25, 2005

Tommy's Excellent Adventure

What I want to know is when the heck did this happen, and who has been hiding it from me?

The "this" I refer to is of course:

Tommy Lee loves horticulture, finds chemistry to be unbelievably hard and was shocked when he found out he had to be out of bed at 6 a.m. in order to be on the Memorial Stadium field by 7 for band practice.

That early rising schedule is just one of the jarring lifestyle changes that the former Motley Crue drummer has encountered in "Tommy Lee Goes To College," the tentative title of a NBC reality television show that has been filming on the University of Nebraska-Lincoln campus since early October.
Tommy Lee - the former Motley Crue drummer, and co-star of the steamy sex-tape with his ex-wife Pamela Anderson - has apparently enrolled at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. And he apparently did so last fall. And why should I even care about that?

Because they're playing their cutesy little reality show dangerously close to something far more important! They let Mr. Motley Crue into the band at Nebraska football games!!!

To demonstrate how much Nebraska's culture (I'm 100% Nebraskan on my dad's side) is focused around that football team, I watched every televised Nebraska game available last year - on pay-per-view when necessary - travelled to one game in person, listened to the rest of the games on the radio, and follow them in the news year-round (especially through here), and discuss them with my family - some of whom live in Lincoln and Omaha - on a regular basis, and this is the first I've heard of Mr. Lee's little adventure. It apparently wasn't a big enough story to squeeze in between speculation about Bill Callahan's first year as Nebraska's head coach, transitioning (painfully) from option football to the West Coast offense, and struggling with our team to its first losing record in 41 years.

Anyway, Mr. Lee seems to have behaved himself so far. And I can hardly blame him for the losing record last year, when there is such a wealth of material among the new coaching staff to condemn instead. But if I see even one cutesy little distraction from a game because of Tommy's Excellent Adventure next year, Mr. Lee will be hearing from me and about a gazillion other Husker fans.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen Nelson said...

Heheheh.

I'm a transplant---born and bred in Omaha. And I went to Iowa State, so you can imagine how pleased my father was that Iowa State went to (and won!!) a bowl game, and Nebraska didn't. You would have thought the world was going to end. ;)

I read about this last fall, when it was happening. I was amused. There apparently is nothing UNL won't do to boost it's PR value. Say what you will about Tommy's behavior, the man can percuss. I can see where the drum corps would have been all over him to join up.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Kathleen Nelson said...

Oh, and I think Nebraska got what it deserved in their football season, too. They never should have fired Frank Solich.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

*sigh*

The Frank Solich stuff is a sore spot. I don't know a single fan who thought the way he was fired was fair or good - even those who thought it was time for a change. The man gave his entire adult life to NU, graduated his players, and conducted himself with class win or lose.

Most Husker fans wanted Bo Pelini promoted if Solich had to go. I was one of those.

But I was happy for Iowa State this year - though the way that bowl game ended had to be painful. I attended the Husker game there this year. We had a 50/50 NU/ISU tailgate. It was a good experience. Good fans.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Kathleen Nelson said...

Solich deserved one more year. He really did. Rebuilding an entire program, and switching an offense, and recruiting for that offense, takes time. No one wanted to give him that time because they're so darn greedy anymore.

I've rooted for Nebraska all my life. (Well, except when they play the Clones) As such, I witnessed the transformation from underdog team who could never quite get there to greedy back-to-back national championship winners. Nebraskans have always been Husker crazy, but now they're just insane with their demands.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

Oh... darn... forgot to add...

I was kind of stunned when Solich was fired. 9-3 that year mollified most fans. Didn't hurt that Solich had Tom Osborne's backing.

But looking back it was all about the recruiting. Solich couldn't keep Osborne level talent coming to the program. So I think the record of the team had nothing to do with it.

Callahan in a great recruiter, but if last season is much to go by, a lesser coach than Solich. If he loads the team with talent but can't deliver a title, look for another change in 3-4 years.

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home