Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Speak No Ill of the Dead

Hunter S. Thompson is dead. I heard it same as the rest of you. But I missed something about it many of you found important.

I truly believe, in etiquette if not metaphysics, that it isn't wise to speak ill of the dead. Not the recently dead anyway, so I won't. I will turn this post toward the living.

Why don't I know enough about Hunter S. Thomspon to make me more mournful about his passing? Apparently he has a gazillion fans. Why hasn't a single soul made his work accessible to me, who came of age after he passed his interesting period?

Let me be frank. I've read parts of Leaving Las Vegas and a few other H. S. Thompson works and my reaction was, eh. But I have no doubt he had a real impact at one point. Why doesn't it translate? I blame the audience.

If the guy moved you, and changed the world of journalism, would someone please tell that story?! It's not up to me. I never saw it.

If this emperor had clothes, and from pretty solid testimonials I have to believe he did at some point, would someone please take the time to tell me what they looked like?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Douglas at Belief Seeking Understanding. It was a long time ago, but I did read "Hell's Angels" by Thompson, and there is a part where he's describing riding a motorcycle way too fast that just puts you right there. I think that's what Lileks was talking about when he said "hitting the keys right."

1:20 AM  
Blogger Night Writer said...

I'm pretty conservative, and I think many conservatives when they think of HST focus on the excesses of his lifestyle, the drugs, violence, and hyper political attacks. At least at one time, however, the dude could really write, and I wrote two days ago on my own blog (http://thenightwriterblog.powerblogs.com) how his breakout in personal journalism has contributed to the sensibilities of blogosphere. By the way, I'm a MOB blogger and I'm enjoying your blog. I hope to be able to regularly fulfill both of your criteria for earning a place on your blogroll.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Army of Mom said...

I never got into him. I don't see the appeal, personally.

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home