Saturday, February 05, 2005

Music Meme

Army of Mom has invited me into a blog-chain thing. And I'm apparently bored enough with other topics that I thought it sounded fun. So without further adieu...

Random 10 Albums Semi-Sorta Randomly pulled from my collection:

This really was a random pull. I literally grabbed the first 10 from a random spot on my CD shelves. Why bother with the semi-sorta stuff? They turned out to be:

1. The Bill Elliot Swing Orchestra, Live at the Hollywood Palladium
2. Classic Swing (the compilation from Target)
3. Led Zeppelin II
4. Simon and Garfunkle, Collected Works
5. Violent Femmes, Violent Femmes
6. R.E.M., Reckoning
7. Paul Simon, Rhythm of the Saints
8. Eee-O 11, The Best of The Rat Pack
9. Queen, A Day at the Races
10. Barenaked Ladies, Stunt

What is the total amount of music files on your computer?

This is a cruel, cruel question, considering I'm posting this from my wife's computer.

The last CD you bought is:

Huh. I used to buy tons of music CD's. Not so much lately. What the heck was the last one? I'm thinking it was something retro I was in the mood to hear again. Styx, Paradise Theater maybe?

What is the song you last listened to before this message?

What Am I to You? from Norah Jones' album, Feels Like Home


Five songs that you often listen to or that mean a lot to you:

1. Well since I just mentioned Norah Jones... I absolutely love the song "Lonestar" off her first album, Come Away With Me. I can't explain why that one grabs me. But it does. A great degree more than any other song on that excellent album.

2. Frank Sinatra, Under my Skin, the Reprise recording. If you don't get this one, I feel sorry for you.

3. Credence Clearwater Revival, Down on the Corner. I got into CCR in my college years. This was my favorite CCR song, and brings to mind many happy times, including my wedding. I always teased my bride-to-be that I wanted this song for our spotlight dance at our reception. Well, I got it as the first song after that anyway.

4. Squirrel Nut Zippers, Grippe, from the album The Inevitable. It's a manic, wild, almost insane-sounding song that I love best in context of the rest of the album. But I listen to the album a lot, and always look forward to this one when I do.

5. Paul Simon, Born at the Right Time, from the album Rhythm of the Saints. Hearing the lyrics describing a new-born child: "Never been lonely. Never been lied to. Never had to scuffle in fear. Nothing denied to. Born at the instant church bells chime. The whole world whispering, "born at the right time."" Brings chills to me every time I hear it (meant a lot more after I had kids, but even before...). And it's got an infectious groove, and sultry melody as well.


Who are you gonna pass this stick to? (5 persons and why)

Ah... the chain-letter part of the meme.
Well (no pressure on the receiving end - pick it up or don't - I'm no chain-blog Nazi), but if I'm being honest...

1. Jo, from Jo's Attic. Because we have these weirdly strong blogging-related things in common, and yet on many of the basic levels, I barely know her. What the heck does she dig musically? Beats me.

2. Mitch, from Shot in the Dark. Sure, picking him is punching above my weight class. But I truly think Mitch's answers here would be fascinating. Mitch knows a heck of a lot about music, and has deep experience in it personally.

3. Learned Foot, from Kool-Aid Report. Because he's one of the most fun, intelligent, and funniest writers in the blogosphere to come along in quite some time, and I'd love to see what he would do with this.

4. Muzzy, from Blogizdat. Because he is someone deeply into music - including the recent stuff, despite his decrepit age (with love from one geezer to another).

5. Craig Westover. Because I want to see if an old seadog with MSM cred would dare to respond to such a thing.

3 Comments:

Blogger Uzz said...

Interesting list! I almost had to add some Squirrel Nut Zippers in there as well...a friend of mine had them lined up to play his wedding reception (he worked for a label at that time), but the girl ended up freaking out close to the wedding and they called it off.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Army of Mom said...

Great list. I like most of that stuff, too.

Thanks for playing along.

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MY EYES!

Sorry even seeing SNZ (I refuse to actually type the full name)is enough to turn my blood cold. Damn I can't satnd that "band".

*shudders*

Army of Dad

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home