Monday, January 17, 2005

Newsflash: It's Cold

Much talk near and far about the recent cold spell in these parts. We have a word for it here: winter.

Still, I cannot pretend to enjoy the truly nasty cold snaps when they arrive. I doubt those of you from warmer climates realize the true suckiness scraping frost off your windows in sub-zero temps adds to your everyday commute. And did you know that when it gets really cold (fifteen below when I was scraping my windows this morning qualified) the frost is a lot more stubborn in clinging to the windows? Did you also know that frost tends to form on the inside of your windows if you park in the shade after getting to work on one of those frigid mornings? Well now you do. De nada.

Other little things you learn not to take for granted... like your car starting just because it has gas and you turned the key. Hah! Until I lived here I didn't even know motor-oil came in different "weights." These days when I winterize my car I'm careful to ask what motor oil they put in, and smile when I hear 5W-30. Sometimes I even spring for the synthetic.

But I can't pretend this has been a truly miserable winter. Number of snowfalls that have required the snowblower to clear the driveway - zero. Which is truly freaky for this far into winter. Mother Nature is saving up something nasty for us for sure.

Anyway, it's supposed to climb all the way into the mid 20's tomorrow. Do you have any idea how warm that feels after fifteen below? If you live up here, of course you do. If you don't, of course not. But it holds the answer to why those of us who choose to live here do so. It's like the guy who was asked why he kept hitting himself in the head with a hammer, who replied, "Because it feels so good when I stop."

2 Comments:

Blogger MarkLevinFan said...

It wasn't that cold in Philly on Sunday! What happened to Randy Moss? I noticed he kept his imaginary pants up!

11:35 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

The Vikings are a spoiled indoor team these days. It's not the Bud Grant era. Moss looked like he wasn't going 100%. Might be due to injury, but with him you never know.

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home