Friday, January 21, 2005

Addressing A Serious Problem

Time for some tough love. No one seems to be willing to say it, so I will.

POKER IS NOT A TELEVISION SPORT!!!!

Keeeee-Riminey! I sort of understood that "World Series of Poker" thing. It was novel. Different. High stakes. But now things are getting out of hand.

Show of hands. How many people out there actually watch this stuff on TV? Come on. Don't be shy. Hands up.

BLAM BLAM BLAM

And now how many people watch this stuff on TV?

I'm not about to be persuaded by any arguments based on the fact that other people like it regardless. This is an argument based on principle. And the principal is that calling televised poker a sport is sick and wrong.

... And that's more or less how my letter to ESPN went. Think they'll bring back Australian rules football now?

3 Comments:

Blogger Drew said...

Ah, . . . that was nice. Thank you for saying what needed to be said.

5:13 PM  
Blogger R-Five said...

I'm only an amateur, so IMO Texas Hold'ms is a rather silly version of poker. Now if they played plain old 5 card draw and 7 card stud, ..., no, wait, you're right, even that would be must flee TV.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Army of Mom said...

*ducking Bogus Gold's punches*

Army of Dad and I LOVE those WSOP shows. I love the celebrity poker on A&E (only because they make me feel better about my poker skills).

Seriously. I love to watch it and have learned how to play poker as a result of it. Scary, I know.

I tried my hand at poker with Army of Dad the other day and I'm awful at bluffing, etc. I lost all my chips within a few hands.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home