Wednesday, December 08, 2004

The Redesign Continues

Once again, please excuse the mess. The blog redesign continues.

A little geekitude commentary, with your kind permission.

There seem to be totally unexplained differences between Internet Explorer and Firefox. I'm a devoted Firefox user, and it pains me to say Explorer is handling most of it better. As far as I can tell, this is standard W3C stuff too, so don't send me explanations about non-W3C compliant Explorer extensions. I'm not using them.

Also if anyone out there is very skilled at 3 column layouts using CSS - I don't want to resort to using HTML tables - give a shout. I can create very nice looking 3 column layouts from scratch. But when I try to apply the same stuff to modify my current template, the sidebars drop to the bottom, below the last post in the main body. I've literally spent hours tweaking stuff to try to correct it, and am still at a loss.

Thanks for your patience.

UPDATE:

Calling it a night on the redesign. Still more to do. But Rome wasn't built in a day. Apologies for leaving the weirdly enormous header in the comments. It looks better in IE than Firefox incidentally. But the issue will be addressed soon.

8 Comments:

Blogger TFB said...

Doug,
I love it! So far, it's turning out nicely.
I told Dr. Jonz to stop by the site if he gets a chance and see if there are any questions he can answer. As you might see from my latest post, he is dealing with a crashed server so we'll have to see.

I really like it so far. The comments load kind of weird. It makes the Title text pop to about a 90pt font for some reason, at least it did on mine.

7:34 PM  
Blogger drjonz said...

Whether use use a CSS or an HTML table, the concept is the same. I set Jo's to a three cell table set to percent levels so it resizes nicely based on any sized screen. A CSS version just means I'd create a style with those attributes and call it out once.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

Thanks Jo and Dr. Jonz.

Dr. Jonz, I may still be in need of your assistance. Brand new to CSS, and rather rusty at more than the basics of HTML here. Having fun though. :-)

7:46 PM  
Blogger drjonz said...

Well the true beauty of CSS is to make changes once only - for example, if you want to change all fonts and are calling them out in your CSS, you need to make only one change. Without CSS, you have to edit almost every line. Looking at it that way, if you were to call out a table setting just once, a CSS wouldn't buy you anything. I think your site looks pretty nice right now.

What I hated about The Attic was that it used to force me to read a very narrow column in the middle which wasted the real estate of my pretty 20" LCD. And I always prefer to see resizable pages so that if I'm not viewing at any particular setting, it still looks good.

Finally, I've tried Firefox too but see no extra value to the browser other than the cool tab views. It's no more secure than IE. But I've loaded it & use it just to put the squeeze on Microsoft. They actually pulled the IE team off to work on XP SP2 for over a year. It's been regrouped and hopefully we'll start to get improvements again. Competition is great!

8:16 PM  
Blogger pinkmonkeybird said...

Nice looking design, Doug. It seems to be a bit easier on the eyes...gentler, kinder Bogus Gold.

9:20 PM  
Blogger R-Five said...

First Jo, now Doug, I feel pressured to do some fancy stuff of my own. In both cases, the results are very good, both in appearance and readability. A couple of the NARN sites should hire you...

11:36 PM  
Blogger Kurt (aka Noodles) said...

Great design Doug! If I ever get some spare time I'm going to have to bone up on my own geek skills. I'm really sick of my standard template but I'm still too green to really dig in to the code for fear of really screwing it up.

2:10 PM  
Blogger PolicyGuy said...

I can't tell much difference between the site in IE or Firefox. Well, there is one difference: the photo of the gold coins shows up in MSIE, but not Firefox. But I think that's just a problem I've been having with Firefox lately.

I didn't think the old template was that bad, though the font was a bit small. In addition to tabbed browsing--a great feature--another value of Firebox is the ability to change font size on the fly. How? Don't ask, I'm a touch typist, I do it by feel.

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home