Monday, December 27, 2004

Post-Holiday Blahs

The modern lack of specificity about specific holiday names has yet another draw-back. Are we post-holiday now? Between holidays? Still within the holiday season?

I don’t think rational explanations quite suffice in answering something like that. Holidays are more about a state of mind than a date on the calendar. I’m back in the office, with no plans to celebrate New Year’s Day beyond my typical weekend pastime of watching football. So the “holiday season” seems to have ended for me.

Now we enter one of my least favorite times of the year. The January – February stretch, which consists of inhospitable weather, short days, dirty cars, and no significant holiday to break things up. All we have to look forward to is March – which is wildly unpredictable, and therefore nothing to pin any hopes upon. It could be just more snow and ice. It could be a muddy mess. It could actually end with hints of spring, but one never counts on it.

Never helps that in the past few years I started noticing that I become quite affected by seasonal affective disorder around this time of year, and it doesn't begin to dissipate until the daylight really increases – late February at the earliest. It doesn’t leave me in a suicidal funk or anything. It just leaves me tired and unmotivated all the time, and no amount of sleep clears it up. Feh. I should perhaps embrace my inner crotchety-old-man and channel this toward some productive purpose; like yelling at the kids in the neighborhood for their joyous laughter disturbing my Weather Channel viewing, or trying to pass a city ordinance against Christmas lights being up past the first week in January.

Anyway, nothing terribly important to comment upon today. The tsunami was tragic, but you know that already (though it is curious that these days it’s reported using the Japanese “tsunami,” rather than the English “tidal wave, ” which means the same thing and is more widely understood among English speakers). I haven’t read Hugh’s new book yet, but since Instapundit already reviewed it you’re not starving for that info either. Stephen Green, the Vodkapundit, is still missing, but since Will Collier has no info it isn’t so much an interesting story as an unchanging curiosity. Blogger-burnout most likely. Seems to have hit a lot post-election.

Oh, and one other thing. I’m dropping from the Blogs for Bush blogroll after inauguration day. This is not a political statement against the president. It’s based on a desire to get back a meaningful TTLB Ecosystem ranking. The two-hundred plus links from that blogroll don’t really count in a meaningful way as regular readers or linkers here. Bigger blogs, please don’t eat me when I drop down the food-chain, or I will give you SUCH indigestion…

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Douglas at Belief Seeking Understanding. Ales Rarus pointed out in a comment on one of my posts that the liturgical season of Christmas is still on during this seemingly dead week, so it's not really post-holiday.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

Hi Douglas. I've been scandalously under-enthusiastic about the liturgical season of Christmas, as opposed to the single day, my entire life. You have me pinned on technical points, but I'm still not going back into holiday mode.

Incidentally, why aren't you on my blogroll? I found your site via Gary a couple of weeks back. Gosh I'm lazy. Lemme fix.

8:38 PM  
Blogger PolicyGuy said...

No lights after January? I wonder if we actually should shift the lighting season from November/December to January/February. At least in November/December, we've got Christmas to look forward to. After December 25 (liturgical calendar notwithstanding), we've got plain old "blah" and darkness for too much of the day. A few lights post-Christmas would do some good.

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home