Saturday, December 25, 2004

Christmas at Our House

Well that was a blur.

Christmas with 3 kids under age 5 is fun, crazy, exasperating, and fast-as-heck. They've been overloaded with the experience, but are far from surrendering to sleep or anything close to it. Short story on the kids - lots of presents. Far more than they have even realized they have yet. Great interest in each others' presents, which has lead to many a fight today. But in general, they've been happy all day, and Christmas seems to have been a hit this year.

After a day of opening, assembling, and batteryfying kids toys, as well as playing an uncountable number of games with little duckies, Dora the Explorer, Hungry Hippos, and the like; dinner was mommy and daddy time. Tunes by a new "Christmas with the Rat Pack" CD Santa kindly provided. A huge herb rubbed prime-rib roast, with Klondike potatoes in herbed butter, and fresh asparagus.

The wine is one I almost regretted opening, because it deserved to age longer. But I have no proper cellar, so holding this thing for 2 1/2 years was about as long as I dared push it. It was a 1997 Niebaum-Coppola Cask Cabernet. A lovely wine, with an amazing nose. I'll not bother reviewing it here, because it really needs some more cellaring time to achieve its potential. But if you're holding some, you're going to be dazzled in around 5-8 years. It's d*mn fine now.

The most fun gift I got was from the wife, of course. Several weeks back I had mentioned seeing an add in National Review (the magazine, not the online site) about a company called "The Teaching Company," offering "The Great Courses" on DVD - college lectures by professors they selected on a myriad of subjects. I had mentioned an interest in one called "Rome and the Barbarians," and my wife enabled my geekitude by procuring it for me. Thirty-six thirty-minute lectures, and no papers to write or finals to sweat. Just the fun of learning about one of my favorite historical periods from a darn fine professor (by his credentials and my initial viewing anyway).

We also got Tivo, which is sure to be fun; though setting it up I hosed my VCR something fierce. Not the most enjoyable experience when you have a two year old clamoring to see the "Dora Magic Princess," DVD she got in her stocking this morning. Thankfully, she was distracted by other toys, but that won't last forever.

Merry Christmas to all.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kurt (aka Noodles) said...

You are going to love the Tivo Doug, we've had it for a year now and I can't imagine not having it. Satisfy your need of "geekitude" and program it to record anything about Rome, you'll be amazed how many programs it will automatically record. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

9:02 PM  
Blogger TFB said...

Make sure you let me know how that lecture series goes. I was looking into that myself so I'd love to get a review before I drop the cash.
And by the way...Merry Christmas!

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home