Monday, December 27, 2004

Blog Flog?

Has Hugh Hewitt coined a new term, or am I discovering myself to be out of the loop yet again? “Blog flog”?

Anyway, I pre-ordered Hugh’s new book “Blog” from Amazon today. I had always intended to order once it came out. But on his show tonight Hugh got me spooked about the possibility that Amazon won’t stock enough and it will sell out leaving me with an unpredictably long delay.

Good marketing pitch? Of course. But I doubt he’s wrong. The major bloggers are giving some seriously good buzz to this book, and blog readers are… well readers. Also the book is not exactly priced like a leather-bound 26 volume set of encyclopedias. It’s priced to move, and all that requires such movement is attention and interest. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the kajillion bloggers and blog-readers whose attention has been called to this book are interested in the topic.

I never got around to blogging about Hugh’s last book, because I bought it so close to the election, and so much of the book was written in devotion to the specific pre-election period when he was writing it; which was a pity in a way. The majority information in the book is not tied to the 2004 election. There is juicy stuff in there about the nature of politics in early 21st century America which will hold true for a long time to come, as well as terrific political activist advice likely to be passed over in 2006 and 2008 as readers dismiss it as a tome meant only for 2004.

On the other hand the new book can’t help but become quickly dated. That’s the nature of the blogosphere itself.

Yet there are still specific elements which may prove more lasting, and I’m curious to see how Hugh deals with them. Take the technology out of it, and you’re still stuck with the same old human nature that intrigued Plato. Technology doesn’t change human nature; it merely enables aspects of it to become more or less powerful in relation to others. The technology innovation of blogs is free and universally available publishing ability, coupled with point to point communication. What does the nature of man suggest about the direction such technology points modern society?

If I knew what a “blog flog” was, I’d be able to tell you whether or not this constitutes one. Anyway, I’ll certainly give my thoughts about the book after it arrives.

1 Comments:

Blogger R-Five said...

I look forward to your review of HH's "Blog." I have reservations in that Hugh seems to have produced this in record time, lest someone else beat him to market.

I also think it may be a trifle early for in-depth analysis of the blogosphere. Maybe we should see what happens in 2005, after the election, and without Dan Rather.

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home