Friday, November 19, 2004

When it Rains it Pours

When it rains it pours.

Well not the weather anyway. But I had my car into the shop today. And yikes! What a bill. Probably earned it though. I haven’t had any work done it other than oil changes for quite some time. But wouldn’t you know the big unexpected bill comes right as Christmas shopping commences. Ouch.

I took it to a local business in Fridley called Bona Bros. I love the place. The service is almost unbelievably polite. The waiting area is not the typical hard plastic, metal chairs with a few magazines on crappy little tables. They have overstuffed leather sofas, dark wooden walls with built-in bookcases, dark wood furniture. The books on the shelves are real, and meant for browsing. I noticed Bill Bennett’s "Book of Virtues," Tom Clancy’s "Sum of All Fears," and Thomas Hardy’s "Return of the Native." How’s that for a little light reading while you wait for your oil change? Oh they have a few magazines and newspapers too. The place is always clean, and surprisingly smells more like a family den than an automotive shop. Soft classical music plays over the music system.

And they do excellent work too. The only AAA endorsed automotive repair shop in Fridley.

This does help take the sting out of the bill a bit. I have no idea when I crossed from the “lowest price” kind of guy to the “I’ll pay for the best work” guy. But I did. And when I get to sit on comfy leather furniture as part of the deal, it’s a no brainer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home