Friday, November 26, 2004

More Odds, More Ends

Just another odds and ends post for today. I'm still in holiday mood.

Rick at Stones Cry Out, after writing his excellent exit poll analysis is being beset by lefties in his comment section, since he was linked by Kos. Poor guy. Have to compliment the Kostlings in that most of them have been polite and intellectually honest. If you're in a combative mood, please consider helping Rick out by advocating the wild notion that Bush did not manufacture votes to steal the election on his thread.

My biggest quibble with the entire thread (as I suggested to Rick the night before he posted it, by challenging his idea for the post in a separate thread) is that this sort of debate at some point risks becoming harmful to the electoral process itself. Why? Because we will never have an electoral system totally free from the possibility of fraud. At some point the presentation of actual evidence of fraud - not just harping on those possibilities - ought to be the entry point for serious public debate.

Why? Because the effects of such debate are not simply the public reputations in an arcane academic field. They affect the results of elections for everyone. Casting doubt upon the results of elections is, for the record, one of the classic ways insurgents are taught to destabilize democratic governments.

This being said, real fraud is a serious problem which ought to be handled very seriously. Of course the best method of doing so is transparent to all involved parties, and pro-active - meaning you address your concerns before the ballots are cast.

Via Rick's thread, I'm discovering some things about the left in regards to electoral fraud. For one, there are plenty of genuinely concerned people regarding this issue. For another, they are not nearly as concerned about illegitimate voters casting ballots. They worry more about centralized corporate cabals committing fraud. I'm wondering if there is some happy medium of reform which might please enough elements of both sides.

Some day I will blog about the notion of sufferage as I see it. I really do find it fascinating. It's not really all that obvious why it is held in such high regard when you think about it practically. Should Albert Einstein's vote be nullified by Homer Simpson? How can that possibly be the best way to run a government? Not many people think about sufferage in such basic terms anymore, but we ought to (and for the record, I don't automatically defer to Einstein in the question above).

My beloved Nebraska Cornhusker football team ended their season today with a loss to Colorado - a university I despise as a sporting institution, but where a beloved younger cousin currently attends school, so I refuse to condemn categorically. Going to be a difficult bowl season. It's the first time in my entire life Nebraska has not gone to a bowl. This was the worst performance I have seen a Nebraska team give my entire life. New coach, Bill Callahan, has spent every cent from his honeymoon year. We expect better next year.

Saw the latest Harry Potter movie tonight. Best of the bunch easily. I haven't seen a single one in the theater. All have been on DVD. So if that made a big difference in any of them, ignore my opinion. And I haven't read the books, so if you're a huge fan of those, I have nothing for you. But this one ("Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkhaban") was a darn good movie. The wife and I both enjoyed it very much.

Also, we both agreed, the main cast - Harry, Hermione, and Ron Weasley - have aged very well together. I have heard rumors that they are now considered too old to do the next one. That would be a shame. Our household very much likes them together - growing older as their characters do.

Nothing to tie this together as usual.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home