Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Blogosphere, We Have A Problem

Oh ‘fer cryin’ out….

I was perusing Mitch’s archives today… I mean the really early stuff. Back in the early Jurassic period of Shot In The Dark.

Why? Just curiosity, really. As I told Mitch when I finally met him face to face, I can’t really remember how I found or when I started reading his blog. I just sort of wandered in one day and kept going back. I was curious to see how his site had developed over time.

Doing a little browsing I was a little surprised to see how long he went without any comments from readers. So I was very curious when I got to September of 2002, to suddenly find some posts with multiple commenters after a long string of nothing. And what do I find?

Comments from September and November of 2004. (I’ll link the post with them, but knowing that Mitch is deleting spam from his comments, I’ll copy the funny bits here as well in case they go away)

We start with this, posted on September 7, 2004.

“Corry's Law:
Paper is always strongest at the perforations.
fioricet for headache And it should be the law: If you use the word `paradigm' without knowing
what the dictionary says it means, you go to jail. No exceptions.
-- David Jones
fioricet”

Meaningless garbage, right? Well you’ll notice the bizarre use of the word “fioricet” in there. A quick Google search tells me that is some kind of pharmaceutical you can buy online. So you have apparently just been subliminally programmed to buy this drug. Sorry about that. But I'm trying to illustrate a point.

Next is my favorite of all, posted on November 5, 2004:

“Thank you for the coments on your website. Can you recomend a good location for me to find cheap medicines? My mama is not well right now. Can you advice? Thank you.”
So the subsequent posts are not actually going to be spam. They're just responding to this poor fellow. Got that?

Then we get some advice only a moron would follow, on November 23, 2004.

“hey, nice site, perhaps youd like to check out mine: daigoro”

Going to have to pass on that one, muchacho. But does anyone want to bet that the site links to overseas pharmaceutical selling sites? Which is not to rule out the notion that it also loads up your computer with spyware.

And finally the direct approach, from November 25, 2004:

“Please check the pages in the field of: (drug selling website) (another drug selling website) (another drug selling website) etc., etc.” All dedicated to the selling of something called “phentermine.”

How much of Mitch’s archive is polluted by this garbage? I have no idea. It’s bad enough the freaking spammers have to make a mess of current comment threads. But to go back and spam a threads more than two years old?!

Things like this make me realize why “law and order” types hold appeal even in freedom loving countries. Because few things would give bloggers more delight than watching some of these spammers perp-walked into prison to share a cell with Big Daddy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home