Monday, November 29, 2004

Blog Renovation

Okay. I've been doing this blog long enough now that it's time to take off the training wheels. There are a few improvements I'd like to make in the next couple of months, and they are as follows:

  1. A URL that does not include the word "blogspot."
  2. My own unique blog design.
  3. An e-mail address for readers who want to contact me, but don't want to do so publicly.

Now here's the hard part. I've done a little research and there are various ways to go about this. There are companies that would offer everything I said above in a package deal, for a nominal fee. But I truly have very little knowledge about what the good alternatives are out there.

The unique blog design is probably the only one I truly can't do myself, being artistically impaired. I checked out Blog Moxie today, since Captain Ed plugs them. Good looking work, but their designs seem a little tilted toward the double X chromosome side of the blogosphere. But not exclusively. They're not out of the running, and their prices do seem within my range.

I recalled Stephen Green plugging Sekimori, who did his site as well as Varifank's (among others). Really nice stuff! No prices posted at all though. I suspect this option might be a bit pricey for my modest needs.

There is always the do it yourself option. If a get a little help from friends who have artistic taste, I could handle the tech part myself. I came across this article with some good tools for heading down that road. A bit longer and more labor intensive, but not out of the question.

So anyway, if anyone reading this has some good tips, I would be most greatful. I'm not so concerned about leaving Blogger, but I wouldn't rule it out either if it would make the above issues easier.

4 Comments:

Blogger First Ringer said...

Sorry, no advice on moving away from blogger, but thanks for dropping a line over at First Ring. And double-thanks for the link on your site---you'll notice a Bogus Gold link over at Ring as well. I should just cave in and formally recognize the "Northern Alliance AAA Team" as Gary over at Dayton v. Kennedy calls it.

I like what I'm reading, keep up the great work!

10:36 PM  
Blogger TFB said...

Try Olson from Freedom Dogs. He did the Fraters logo and King's new logo as well.I think he's a great designer even if he is a MAC man.

6:12 AM  
Blogger TFB said...

Try Olson from Freedom Dogs. He did the Fraters logo and King's new logo as well.I think he's a great designer even if he is a MAC man.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

Sorry for the belated response.

Anyone reading this go check out First Ringer, linked in the Minnesota Blogger section of my blogroll. A really good new blogger.

Jo, do you mean Derek Bingham? Is that the same as Olson? I checked out his site today, and he looks good. I also like supporting local guys.

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home