Sunday, September 19, 2004

Wine Review

Oh, what the heck. I'm winding down from transcribing warbley audio. Listening to classic CCR on the headphones. The kiddies are abed. I suppose I have time to mention the wine we uncorked tonight.

It was a tall order for a wine in any case. The WGW&M had prepared a salad of new potatoes, goat cheese, bacon, and fresh taragon. The main course was baby-back ribs. Not an easy wine pairing.

I went for a powerful, peppery, jammy Zinfandel. Those can pair nicely with spicy BBQ at times.
I chose the Ravenswood, Amador Vinyard, 2000.

Unfortunately this wine was unbalanced. The eptimome of a "hot" wine. Too much alcohol on the palate.

For those unfamiliar with the experience, imagine downing a shot of vodka right before each sip of wine. Down frat-boys. I didn't mean you get that drunk. I meant it kills the palate for tasting the wine in similar fashion.

A less-than-great wine, from a normally reliable vinyard.

2 Comments:

Blogger TFB said...

Ribs? Hard to pair a wine with that unless you grab a chianti. Chianti's are always so easy and smooth you can almost have it with Wheaties in the morning.
I know, I know. I am one of those chianti freaks so I am considered a bottom feeder of the wine world. Maybe so, but I never open a bottle that disappoints.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

Don't apologize for liking Chianti, Jo. It's one of my favorites as well. In fact, Italian wine of all sorts is wonderful stuff. And that's not a bad idea for matching with ribs either. I may give that a shot next time.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home