Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Political Exhaustion

I'm pooped. Beat. Fried.

This Rather-gate thing is fascinating and everything. But I'm starting to feel the way I felt after the 2000 election, during the whole Florida recount fiasco. Like I want the story to just go on vacation for a while, so I can read stories about some kid with Leukemia kayaking with a movie star due to the Make-a-Wish foundation. Something that makes you feel good about humanity and the future, instead of adversarial and combative.

Mind you, I've been saying for a while that the big "scoop" here is less a big breakthrough than an illustration of something we had already achieved. The tipping point "tipped" when people weren't paying attention. The shocked reaction to how it applies to this story is because few people really thought about some of the implications until now.

Which isn't to say the Rather thing isn't news. Or that no one should focus on it. But it' s making me tired. Like a train-wreck I keep looking, but it's sure not giving me any satisfaction. Schadenfreude can only sustain you for a brief period, and I think today I passed beyond it.

Partially my own fault. I dove into the "timeline" thingy this morning because it was something I thought was being overlooked. Like most elements of this story I soon discovered others were already on the track. And then I discovered I just can't keep up with it because I simply can't care enough at the moment.

Came across this in ABC's "the Note" today (sorry.. they have no permalinks):

"One thing is certain: the Bush political operation, when presented with a gift, knows how to milk it for all its worth (and you'll excuse the semi-mixed metaphor; imagine the gift is a cow … )."

And you know what? That screwy metaphor joke is the first thing I've read all day that actually gave me a little relief from the oppressive Rather-gate zetigeist.

So I'm thinking I just need to give the topic a rest. Plenty of excellent sources out there for those of you who want to keep track of things. I'm going to try to lay off the political blogging and get back into some more human-oriented interests for the next couple of days. We'll see how well that works.

1 Comments:

Blogger Army of Mom said...

I hear what you're saying. I feel the same way most days. I feel like I should blog about it, but every other blog is beating it to death. I mentioned it briefly.

army of mom

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home